Wednesday, September 1, 2010

So THAT's how composting works.

Months ago, I started a small compost pile in the back corner of the yard. I had initially tried compost buckets but it seemed like nothing was happening. Well, not nothing. The ants were very appreciative of the ready-made house I'd given them. I dumped the buckets in the corner of the yard and let the ants go at it there, instead. I've been pretty good about adding fruit cores and rinds to the pile but it never really gets any bigger. Must be decomposing, right?

Yesterday, I discovered the true fate of my cantaloupe rinds and apples cores. The dogs are eating them. They must think I've lost my mind, traipsing out to the end of the yard to put treats out for them.

The funny part is that we have a dog poop "pit" going. So as they eat my organic refuse, I pick up their messes and put it deep in a hole to further decompose and disappear. It's doing some good down there, I suppose but it's not really what I had in mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment