Monday, August 1, 2011

August 1, 2011

I'm trying to be patient and understanding but really, I cannot wait to have my husband back. So much of his time has been taken up by one of two things lately: work or legal issues. I try not to complain about work because it's not as though he can suddenly cut his workload in half and spend more time at home. What has to be done, has to be done, and largely by him. When it comes to the legal stuff, it's a bit harder to be patient. After 9 years, I still feel like that can monopolize his time and attention in a way with which I simply cannot compete. Maybe things are drawing to a close of some sort, maybe they're not. Regardless, it's frustrating to wait it out, hoping for calm, happy evenings.

Related: Ben went back to his mother's house on Saturday. It's a strange feeling, not having him here. The girls periodically look for him and I find myself waiting for him to come down to breakfast. He plays well with the girls and has been trying very hard to contribute around the house.

We introduced a chore/reward system and even though it's only been in effect for a week, he seemed to get the hang of it and was getting quite good at checking his progress himself. I have a hard time delegating certain tasks. The old saying "If you want it done right, do it yourself" is one that strikes home for me. As much as I might complain about doing certain chores around the house, it's very often easier?/less complicated? to do it myself than it is to tell someone else how/when/why to do it. However! if I want help with things, I have to ask, right? So some things are being handed off to the chilluns and they're stepping up admirably. Ben has been taking out trash, keeping their bathroom reasonably clean, making his own bed and the like. Izzy struggles with the concept of chores but likes to dust and help put clothes away so I'm taking advantage of that. Lily has only really mastered feeding the dogs so I can imagine that's gonna get heavy rotation in her chore list.

No comments:

Post a Comment