Wednesday, July 18, 2012

July 18, 2012

Today marks 5 years since Izzy was born. 5 YEARS! It seems like forever and such a short time ago, all at once.

Her independent nature shines more and more each day and I'm excited to be along for this part of her journey through life.

A couple of days ago, I was letting the kids take turns playing around on the piano. When it was Izzy's turn, we were more than a little surprised to hear her picking out notes to string together in a melody and then repeat that melody. She hums and sings to herself constantly so I guess it shouldn't surprise me that she can create other forms of music when given the opportunity. This sort of thing falls in the 'terrifies mommy' category because it reminds me that I'm responsible for her education but not in control of her interests or talents.

Last weekend, Izzy wanted to sit next to one of her friends at Temple. My first inclination was to make her sit with me so that I'd know she was behaving. But then it occurred to me that kids don't have an opportunity to behave unless you allow them to practice. So for the next hour, Izzy and Adam shared a seat (I know! so cute!) and whispered and giggled very quietly. I wish I knew what they talked about, it looked so sweet. He commented on her shoes, I think, and was playing with her hair. It's hard for me to acknowledge that she is having a life of her own, already. When kids are babies and toddlers, it's easy to fool yourself into thinking they are mini versions or even just extensions of yourself. And then suddenly they are separate entities with their own dreams and desires and futures. So hard to let go.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. I think you do a fantastic job of encouraging talents and growth on an appropriate level.

    ReplyDelete